Wednesday, June 15, 2016

5 Tips for When You're Overwhelmed


1. Choose one room/task

When you're overwhelmed by your to-do list, choose one thing to do. It may be a single room to clean up, or one task, such as picking up all the clothes from the ground and putting them away. Once that task is complete, move on to the next one. It simplifies the process and you feel as though you are getting things done because you are!

2. Set a timer

Setting a timer for 10-15 minutes can change your mindset about things.  Knowing that you only have fifteen minutes to finish a task will make you do it quicker. Once the fifteen minutes is over, you can take a break for five minutes. Set a timer again, or else your "break" will turn into the whole day.  When I know that I have a set time to finish something, I am more likely to complete it. After 3 fifteen minutes/five minutes increments, an hour has gone by and you've gotten three things done! 

3. Listen to your favorite music

I don't know about you but there is just some music that gets me going! If I need to clean my house, I listen to Owl City. If I need to get other things done, I listen to a soothing Pandora station. Sometimes a little pep in your step is all you need to get things rolling. 

4. Remember you're not alone

When you're feeling overwhelmed, it's easy to feel isolated. Texting a friend, calling a relative, or simply reading a blog post can remind you that you're not the only one.

5. Get to it!

Anytime I feel lost, I hear my mom's voice in my head saying, "There's nothing to it, but to do it!". As long as you procrastinate, you will continue to feel overwhelmed. But if you just jump in, you can get something done! 

What are some helpful tricks you do when you're overwhelmed?




1 comment: