Tuesday, August 18, 2015

A Well Watered Garden: God's Promise

I will never forget that afternoon. A group of teenagers gathered around listening to a man talk about Jesus. Not just Jesus- but Jesus in us. He filled a cup up with dirty water, leaves and mud swirled in the glass. He spoke, "As long as we have dirt inside our hearts we won't be able to bless others. We can not minister what we don't have." Putting a hose with sparkling, fresh water into the glass of dirty water, he explained that we must be filled with righteousness in order to properly minister. We cannot quench someone's thirst for Jesus with filthy hearts. The cup overflowed until all the mud and leaves were gone- all that was left was the clean water. He finished, "we must be filled with Jesus in order to fill others up with good things."




That illustration has stuck with me for many years. We minister what we are and we cannot minister what we do not have. We may try to fill others up: be a blessing, be a help... But if we have nothing filling us up, or if what we have is dirt, we won't be able to properly bless. 

Sometimes, we are empty; we try to give but there is nothing left inside of us. That is why it is imperative that we fill up on Jesus. I am in the process of learning this right now. It is easy to hear something as a teenager and much harder to put it into practice as an adult. 

How can I quench someone elses thirst when I, myself am thirsty? If I am dry as a desert, what will they be after I talk to them? 

The Bible says, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." John 7:37

The Living Water in me is dependent on my belief in God. My faith. Just as it would be impossible to share water I don't have, it would be difficult to convince someone of a faith I do not practice. 

And so this is the devil's first attack. If he can get me to quit believing, then the river of life will dry up in me. 

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
    Nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season,
    Whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper." Psalm 1:1-3

I will be fruitful!! I will not wither. I will be able to bear fruit and bless others as long as I abide in Jesus.

"And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a well watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." Isaiah 58:11

Even in the times our faith is depleted and the devil wants to make us weak and dry, it is God's promise to us that He will make our souls a well watered garden! 

Have faith, dear one, it is not the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment