Friday, August 21, 2015

Five Lies We Believe When We're Struggling

You know the drill. It seems like every time you get up on your feet, you are knocked right back down again. It is a tale as old as time and not in the happily-ever-after way. But in the midst of that fight, that struggle, here are five lies to reconsider.

  1. This is forever.                                                                                                                                                     Ecclesiastes 3 is a well known set of verses. It is plastered everywhere you look: "A time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven." (verse 1)  It is tempting to believe the lie that this pain or frustration will last forever, and that we will never get out from under the thumb of the devil. But it simply isn't true! 
  2. God doesn't care.                                                                                                                The scripture "Jesus wept" is not only the shortest verse in the Bible, it is also one that shows a depth of emotion. Lazurus had just died, Mary and Martha were suffering and Jesus came onto the scene of many Jews wailing and mourning. Jesus felt deep sorrow; he cried. He cried with those who suffered pain. The Psalmist tells us that God puts our tears in His bottle, and records the reason for those tears. (Psalm 56:8) The Lord cares so much for our plight that He records it. He knows. He cares. 
  3.   You can't handle it.                                                                                                          You are stronger than you think. Every time that devil comes back to hit you, his wish is to see you give up. Give up, and give in. If the devil can make us let go of what we are fighting for, he wins. But you CAN handle it, God has promised us this: "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:13) We have to remember that for centuries, people have survived struggles. We can too.
  4. This is pointless.                                                                                                                  As much as it seems to be so, it isn't. Not to say that the cliche-"This is teaching you something!" mantra is true. Most of the time, it is an assault from hell; it is the way life works. But sometimes, it is God allowing things to happen to us for our benefit. This can be taken to the extreme, of course. I don't believe that He causes bad things to happen to His children. But He does let them. I don't know why, but I trust His plans for my life. "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." (James 1:2-4) God's ultimate plan is for me to be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. That doesn't sound pointless to me!
  5. There's no hope for me.                                                                                                 This, I think, is the largest of the lies. All the other lies wrap up into this one. If we have no hope, we give up; the vice versa is also true...We give up because we think we can't handle it, it's pointless, God doesn't care and it will last forever! And then, we have no hope. The Psalmist so eloquently put it this way:                                                                                                                                        "Those who sow in tears
    Shall reap in joy. He who continually goes forth weeping,
    Bearing seed for sowing,
    Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing,
                                                      Bringing his sheaves with him."
         
       
                                     Psalm 126: 5-6  
         and: 
 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;
All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
 
 The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,
And in the night His song shall be with me—
A prayer to the God of my life.

 I will say to God my Rock,
“Why have You forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?” 

As with a breaking of my bones,
My enemies reproach me,
While they say to me all day long,
“Where is your God?”
 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.
Psalm 42:7-11

I dare not cheapen your pain. I have struggles as well. But it is good to remember that God will come through for us. He commands His lovingkindness. Don't lose hope in the victory, it is coming! We are more than conquerors through Christ. Keep on fighting.

      
                       

No comments:

Post a Comment