Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Many Members




" For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,  so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.  We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;  if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach;  if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully." Romans 12:4-8

Like puzzle pieces, we all fit together to make a beautiful bigger picture. However,  discontentment can creep in; subtly changing how we feel about our position and who we are in the body of Christ. Not only do we become unhappy with where we are in life, ie. finances, house, clothes, job...We also can become dissatisfied with who we are as people. I'm not talking about how we look either; who we are at the core of us- our souls and our giftings and our individual talents come under scrutiny. Discontentment, comparing of ourselves with other people, cause pain and suffering. We may not realize we are doing it, but when we lose sight of our place in the body, we start trying to shove our puzzle piece into a place we don't fit and lose ourselves altogether. I am not speaking of putting yourself into a mold and staying there. Heaven forbid we become like the Pharisees, demanding a list of rules be followed to be saved. I am talking about God fashioning us all to be different.

My gifts are special to God and He has a plan to use them in His way and His time. When I look at others and see their gifts and become unhappy with my gifts, I lose effectiveness. He has given us all certain things we are good at, to some musical ability, to others the anointing of preaching, to more the gifts of teaching...There are so many talents out there-all from the genius and creativity of our God. I have looked at people at work in my church and been jealous of their talent. Not for the anointing they have or even the joy it brings, but because I think it is better than my own. How disappointing my little pile of gifts seem! Yet how rude to the Lord who gave those gifts to me. He says "all members do not have the same function." "In every one the same God [is] at work" (1 Corinthians 12). Jesus has a reason for everything; that is not a cliche proverb that we can repeat to ourselves to make us feel better- it is a truth!

"Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body.  And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body.  If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?  But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.  If they were all one part, where would the body be?  As it is, there are many parts, but one body." 1 Corinthians 12:15-20

Say I am the hand, I can't seem or hear, but I am busy nonetheless. The eyes seem so cool with their vision and color! What am I? Although eyes are important, so are the hands. We get so lost in what another does that we don't realize the importance of what we do!

"There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens." Ecclesiastes 3:1

You may not have the spotlight or be the coolest girl in church, but I know that there is a time for popularity and a time for quietness. A time to be a friend to one and a time to be a friend to all. I don't want to become caught on the one and lose the opportunity for the other. God has special plans for all of us-let Him use you in your giftings! He gave them to you for a reason. Ask Him to show you how. Even if not everyone knows that you are good at something, do it for His glory.

" So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:23

2 comments:

  1. I thank God that He made us each unique and individual! This is encouraging and so very important! Thank you for sharing :) I am blessed by your gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me I'm not the spleen - ha ha! And as you look around and are 'disappointed in your gifts', remember there is someone looking at YOU and thinking the same of themselves.
    Well said, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete