Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Ordinary Days vs. An Extra Ordinary God



If I am honest with you and myself, I don't really feel like writing today. The blogosphere seems so full of words, good and bad, that this little corner of the internet is a bit dry in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I love my blog, and I appreciate my readers. I am not fishing for compliments either...

It's easy to imagine the perfect set up: a cute desk with little printables framed in adorable frames, a cup of coffee in an Anthro mug and maybe a french pastry on a little plate, a beautiful Macbook Pro open and waiting for my fingers to stroke the keys and make a melody of words on a page...

But the truth is, I am sitting in cutt off jeans and an old tank top, on my bed with a Dell computer that is a little worse for the wear. No adorable mug or any pastries to be seen. And I am ok with that.

I think that our culture puts so much emphasis on the outward appearance of things. Whether you have the latest and greatest and if you are extraordinary. But this is an ordinary day and an ordinary house and an ordinary person. I am not disagreeing with the fact that God made each and every one of us special- I just think that the world makes us feel wrong for just being ok.

The word ok is interesting in origin. There are so many different stories about where this little word came from and you can read about it here. All in all, it basically means "all is well" or "all right". Ok in the most basic form is saying "I am content". Whether in response to a question as affirmation or explaining our day, it is expressing satisfaction.

It's funny that when someone asks how we are, we say "Ok", as if we are not in fact all right. We use it sarcastically and sardonically. The word has changed so much in meaning that it can be construed many different ways. But that is ok. ;)

Ella, my baby girl, was crying from exhaustion. I started rocking her and this song came to me

It's ok, it's ok
It's ok today
Ok in the morning,
And late at night
When you're so worried
And all full of fright
It's ok after midnight
And brightest day
It's ok
It's ok

In a sense, it is my own version of "It Is Well", the old hymn by Horatio Spafford. Regardless of what is happening in daily life; if I am abounding or abased.

"...for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:  I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13
 It's funny how we use that verse, "I can do all things through Christ" in extreme circumstances and need, but it can also be used in reference to our ok days. We can be content and strengthened in the unextraordinary, boring, fruitless days. When we are listless and unsatisfied with life- we can be ok because we can do all things...Through Christ!

I encourage you to listen to this version of "It Is Well", it is my favorite. :)




1 comment:

  1. "On sunny afternoons, when I am all alone and I get past the boredom, I feel so content and so at peace. For You have given me a good life and I appreciate it so, You have given your life for me, You have given your life for me...and I appreciate it so."
    Gosh, I wrote this AGES ago. Guess boredom is as old as time. You're right! Ordinary days are OK!

    ReplyDelete